Bishop Browne invited the sisters of Jesus & Mary to open a National School in Salthill as the population was rapidly increasing there in the early fifties. Scoil Ide was opened in Dalysfort House Hotel, overlooking Galway Bay, on May 1st 1952 with forty-three pupils and two teachers, Mother M. Immaculata and Celia Burke. The numbers grew rapidly and it was decided to build a new school. The Hotel was knocked down and building started on the site. Meantime, school continued in the Hanger and Seapoint Ballrooms, by kindness of the Proprietors.
In 1962 the new Scoil Ide was blessed by the late Bishop Browne and officially opened by Dr. Patrick Hillary, then Minister for Education. That year a Secondary top was opened in Scoil Ide and three years later moved to Salerno, Revagh road. The aim of Scoil Ide is to give a Christian Education. It strives to develop, unify and enrich each child’s personality by an education, which is attentive to the individual, open to the world and based on the Gospel.